Monday, April 13, 2015

The Finnish Language

The most common question I get asked is "Why Finland?!" I guess for a lot of people, especially people who live here, coming to Finland seems a bit strange. To be honest, I didn't pick Finland, it picked me. My Rotary district has you rank every county you are applicable for-- sometimes over 40. When I filled out my application, this list was pretty overwhelming. I wanted to come to Europe so I just put all the European countries first. I had no particular order. It was pure fate I ended up in Finland. And I'm pretty happy I did.

I am telling you this because last Saturday, I had my Finnish test. This test was sort of everything I had been working up to in my exchange. Honestly, I don't think I did that well. Finnish is really different which makes it hard to learn. It was been a slow, grueling struggle to try and learn Finnish. I am not confident in my test results (which I will get in a few weeks at all), but I proud of myself for trying.

To give you a taste of the Finnish language, here's a few funny memes that have circulated around the Internet.

Nevertheless, I really do love the Finnish language. I'm no where near fluent, but learning Finnish has challenged me in new ways. I am proud of everything I have learned. 



2 comments:

  1. I am Finn and I like to read your blog! Finnish is fun :D

    ReplyDelete